southgate solicitors

Wrong partner? Right solicitors. 

We're here to help you

Send your details to us and we will call you back to take further information about your matter.

Wrong partner? Right solicitors. 

We're here to help you

Send your details to us and we will call you back to take further information about your matter.

If you are looking for help with civil dissolution our specialist solicitors can help you. In addition to office meetings, we offer remote meetings by telephone or video if preferred. To discuss your options call us 24/7 on 0208 004 0065 or email us at 

Civil Dissolution

In England and Wales, the process for ending a civil partnership is very similar to the process for ending a marriage and it is important that the correct procedure is followed to ensure the civil dissolution is legal. 

If you are considering separation, contemplating dissolution, or if your civil partner has initiated proceedings, it is essential that you seek guidance on the correct legal process and advice as to your legal rights.

What we can do

At southgate solicitors, we offer comprehensive assistance tailored to your needs throughout your civil dissolution journey. Our team of experienced professionals understand the intricacies of family law and are dedicated to providing you with the expertise and support you need during what can be a daunting and highly emotional time.  We have Resolution members and also hold Law Society Family Law Advanced Panel Accreditation which demonstrates our knowledge, skill and expertise in this area of law. 

If you wish to read more about this area of law we have some frequently asked questions at the end of this page – feel free to scroll down to read more.

Related Services

Why us?

Award-Winning Firm

Personalised Services

Clear Costings

Proven Results

Specialist Solicitors

Meet our team

How we work with you

Step 1 how it works southgate solicitors

Contact Us

You can either call us 24/7 on 0208 004 0065, email us at or fill out our contact form below.

Step 2 how it works southgate solicitors

Initial Call

Our client services team will discuss details of your case during a no-obligation call to ensure that it is something we can help you with.

Step 3 how it works southgate solicitors

Strategy Meeting

A specialist solicitor will meet with you to go through your matter in detail and advise on a strategy and options.

Ready to discuss your case?

What our clients say


Civil dissolution, also known as civil partnership dissolution, refers to the legal process of ending a civil partnership. It is similar to divorce but applies specifically to couples who have entered into a civil partnership rather than a marriage. During civil dissolution proceedings, assets, finances, and arrangements regarding any children are typically addressed and resolved. Once the dissolution is finalised, the civil partnership is legally terminated, and both parties are free to pursue separate lives.  

While civil dissolution and divorce serve the same purpose—legally ending a relationship—the processes apply to different types of unions. Dissolution is specifically for civil partnerships, whereas divorce is for marriages. The legal steps involved are similar, focusing on the equitable division of assets, financial support, and any children’s living and contact arrangements. 

The sole ground for dissolving a civil partnership is the irretrievable breakdown of the relationship. This makes the process potentially less contentious and more straightforward. 

The duration of the dissolution process can vary depending on the complexity of your case, such as the division of assets and arrangements for children. Typically, an uncontested and straightforward dissolution might take between 6-9 months from filing the application to receiving the final order. 

Yes, you can. Many couples manage to agree on the division of assets through negotiation or mediation. At southgate solicitors, we encourage and can facilitate these discussions to reach an amicable agreement, potentially avoiding the need for court intervention. 

If your civil partner disagrees with the dissolution or the terms (such as asset division or child arrangements), it is essential to seek legal advice. Our solicitors can guide you through the next steps, which may involve mediation or, as a last resort, court proceedings. 

We're here to help you

Send your details to us and we will call you back to take further information about your matter, or you can click the number below.

Message us